Attention, policy wonks! Urban Institute came out with a list of the “most talked-about UI research this year in the media, debated on cable news, and reported around the nation.” The research includes the following:
1. Who Pays No Income Tax? (46.6% do not pay any income tax!!)
But is this the right question to ask? That is, are there other people who DO pay income tax who benefit from tax preferences/loopholes even more than people who pay zero income tax?
2. Social Security and Medicare Taxes and Benefits Over a Lifetime
The tables provide estimates of the lifetime value of Social Security and Medicare benefits and taxes for typical workers in different generations at various earning levels.
3. Human Service Nonprofits and Government Collaboration
This analysis used data from a national survey to look at the scope of government contracts and grants with U.S. human service nonprofits.
4. Evaluating the Use of Public Surveillance Cameras for Crime Control and Prevention
5. The Multi-site Adult Drug Court Evaluation
The most extensive study of drug courts—a five-year examination of 23 courts and 6 comparison jurisdictions in eight states—found that these court programs can significantly decrease drug use and criminal behavior.